Leo XIII Higher Secondary School, with its academic heritage for two centuries remains the beacon light of Alappuzha, the Venice of the East. The school was initiated by the Jesuit missionaries, that was under the Padruado system. Initially, that was known as St. Antony’s school in 1870’s as it was managed by the clerics of St. Antony’s Church. It was later renamed as Leo XIII as it was the year of the jubilee memorial of Pope Leo XIII. It became a middle school on 1st June 1889. It was rased as a High school in 1921 with the implementation of ESLC instead of matriculation. The institution was handed over by the Jesuits to the diocese in 1969 and then on, it has been functioning under the Corporate Management of the diocese of Alleppey. The school was later rased as a higher secondary school in 1998 as part of the educational reforms in Kerala.